Muhammad Bahrul Ulum
S.H. (University of Jember), LL.M. (Osmania University)
Lecturer at the Faculty of Law, University of Jember
Researcher at the Centre for Human Rights, Multiculturalism, and Migration
Google Scholar | ORCID ID
Muhammad Bahrul Ulum is a lecturer of law at the University of Jember. Prior to teaching and conducting research at the Law School and the Centre, he graduated Bachelor of Laws from the University of Jember (2011) and completed LL.M. in International Economic Law at Osmania University (2015), where his study was sponsored by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship. He experienced as an assistant to public lawyer at Surabaya Legal Aid Institute in which his task was related to Democracy, Human Rights and Law Enforcement. In this duty, he involved in the research programme on public service at the Religious Court and Civil Court of Tuban under the Indonesian Research Centre for Law and Policy Studies, Jakarta. Currently, in addition to teaching and research, he is the mentor of student’s debate competition due to his undergraduate experience of being a debater in various national competitions.
Bachelor of Law degree (S.H.), Constitutional and Administrative Law, University of Jember, 2011
Master of Law degree (LL.M.), International Economic Law, Osmania University, 2015
Assistant to Public Lawyer, Surabaya Legal Aid Institute, 2013
Areas of Expertise
Indonesian Constitutional Law
Comparative Constitutional Law
International Economic Law
Human Rights Law
Lecturer of Law, University of Jember, March 2016 – Present
Secretary, the Centre for Human Rights, Multiculturalism, and Migration, January 2017 – Present
Editor, e-Journal Lentera Hukum, University of Jember Faculty of Law, January 2017 – Present
Honours and Awards
Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship, 2013-2015
Ambassador Awards for Excellence, Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in New Delhi, 2013
The Excellent Student of the Year, University of Jember, Runner up, 2011
Padmo Wahjono Award, National Debate Competition, Winner, 2010
Indonesian Constitutional Award, National Writing Competition, Winner, 2009
Theory of State
Indonesian Constitutional Law
Advanced Studies in Administrative Law
Globalization of Law
Indonesian Mining Law
Book Chapter and Journal
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum and Nilna Aliyan Hamida, Revisiting Liberal Democracy and Asian Values in the Contemporary Indonesia, Constitutional Review, forthcoming in 2018.
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum, Pancasila dalam Arus Liberalisasi Pangan Pascareformasi (Pancasila in the Wave of Food Liberalization After Reformation), in the Book titled “Pancasila dalam Pusaran Globalisasi” (Pancasila under Globalization), June 2017.
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum, Implementasi dan Implikasi Putusan Mahkamah Konstitusi Terhadap Hak Konstitusional Warga Negara, Implementation and Implication of Constitutional Court Decision Toward Citizens’ Constitutional Rights, Jurnal Konstitusi Vol 6 No 3 (2009). Download
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum, Mekanisme Pemakzulan Presiden dan/atau Wakil Presiden di Indonesia (Antara Realitas Politik dan Penegakan Konstitusi), President and/or Vice-President Impeachment Mechanism in Indonesia (Between Political Reality and Enforcement of the Constitution), Jurnal Konstitusi Vol 7 No 4 (2010). Download
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum, “Constitutional Debate on Religion and Secularism in Indonesia and India”, Paper Presentation in the International Summer Conference held by the Centre for Human Rights, Multiculturalism, and Migration (CHRM2) Universitas Jember on “Human Rights in Southeast Asia: Are We Moving Backward?”, Jember, 11-12 August 2017.
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum and Nilna Aliyan Hamida, “Debating Democracy and Asian Values: From the Notion of Integralist State to the Wave of Democratization in the Contemporary Indonesia”, Paper Presentation in the Indonesian Constitutional Court International Symposium on “Constitutional Court, Ideology, and Democracy in Plural Society”, Solo, 8-10 August 2017.
- Muhammad Barul Ulum, “Indonesian Smart Programme: to Promoting an Access to Education? Implementation of Policy and Right to Education in Jember Regency”, Paper Presentation, Indonesian National Conference of Human Rights 2017, Human Rights and Eco-Social Justice, Faculty of Law, Tadulako University, Indonesia, 1-2 March 2017.
- Muhammad Bahrul Ulum, “Low Educational Performance in PISA: An Indonesian Context”, Poster Presentation in the International Workshop on State, Constitutionalism and Citizenship in Southeast Asia, Kalibaru Cottage Banyuwangi, Indonesia, 18-20 November 2016.