Muhammad Bahrul Ulum obtained Bachelor of Laws from Universitas Jember, Indonesia (2011) and Master of Laws in International Economic Law from Osmania University, India (2015). His masters’ degree was sponsored by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship.
Currently, Muhammad is a lecturer of law at Universitas Jember. Since 2017, he has joined the Centre for Human Rights, Multiculturalism, and Migration (CHRM2) at Universitas Jember. His research interests lie in the areas of human rights, constitutional law, and international economic law, and his work focuses on the intersection of politics, pluralism, and globalization. In 2018, he experienced as a visiting research fellow at the Graduate School of International Development, Nagoya University, Japan. He presented a number of papers at the international conferences and has published his selected articles in the Constitutional Review, the Journal of Indonesian Legal Studies, and others.
Before joining Universitas Jember, Muhammad was an assistant public lawyer at Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Surabaya, focusing on the structural legal aid to promote human rights, democracy, and the rule of law. In 2013, he carried out the field task to monitor the performance of legal aid services in the Religious Court and the District Court of Tuban, under the Supreme Court of the Republic of Indonesia partnering with the Indonesian Centre for Law and Policy Studies.
While being a student, Muhammad was the Chairman of the Indonesian Students’ Association in India (2015). He was also the founding member and the first Executive Director of the Forum for Juridical Science Studies (Forum Kajian Keilmuan Hukum) at Universitas Jember (2009). He won a number of legal competitions, such as the National Scientific Paper Competition held by the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Indonesia (2009) and the National Law Debate Competition held by Universitas Indonesia (2010). In the end, he was selected as the student of the year at Universitas Jember (2011).
Bachelor of Law degree (S.H.), Constitutional and Administrative Law, Universitas Jember, 2011
Master of Laws degree (LL.M.), International Economic Law, Osmania University, 2015
Transitional Justice Strategies for Asian Context, “Revealing truth, Reclaiming Justice” held by Asia Justice and Rights (AJAR), Bali, 1-7 November 2017
Areas of Expertise
International Economic Law
Human Rights Law
Indonesian Legal System
Theories of State
Lecturer of Law
Honours and Awards
Visiting Research Scholarship IsDB at Nagoya University, October-December 2018
Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship, 2013-2015
Ambassador Awards for Excellence, Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in New Delhi, 2013
The Excellent Student of the Year (Mawapres) at Universitas Jember, Runner-up, 2011
Padmo Wahjono Award, National Debate Competition, Winner, 2010
Indonesian Constitutional Award, National Writing Competition, Winner, 2009
- “The Limits of Power and Constitutionalism on Emergency Laws in Indonesia”, Hasanuddin Law Review, (with Rosita Indrayati). (Forthcoming in 2019).
- “Promoting the Right to Education through A Card: A Paradox of Indonesia’s Educational Policy?” Journal of Indonesian Legal Studies, (with Dina Tsalist Wildana). (Forthcoming in 2019)
- “Collective Food Security under the Framework of the ASEAN Community: A Reflection from Indonesia’s Food Policy” Padjadjaran Journal of Law. (co-author with Gautama Budi Arundhati and Rosita Indrayati). (Forthcoming in 2019).
- “Reassessing the Idea of Non-Egalitarian Islam in Indonesia: A Debate on Constitutional History” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2018) in Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research. Download
- “Revisiting Liberal Democracy and Asian Values in Contemporary Indonesia,” Constitutional Review, Vol. 4 No. 1 2018, (with Nilna Aliyan Hamida). Download
- “Pancasila dalam Arus Liberalisasi Pangan Pascareformasi” (Pancasila in the Wave of Food Liberalization After Reformation), in “Pancasila dalam Pusaran Globalisasi” (Pancasila under Globalization) (Al Khanif, Mirza Satria Buana, MK Wardana, eds, 2017). Download
- “Mekanisme Pemakzulan Presiden dan/atau Wakil Presiden di Indonesia (Antara Realitas Politik dan Penegakan Konstitusi)”, President and/or Vice-President Impeachment Mechanism in Indonesia (Between Political Reality and Enforcement of the Constitution), Jurnal Konstitusi Vol 7 No 4 (2010). Download
- “Implementasi dan Implikasi Putusan Mahkamah Konstitusi Terhadap Hak Konstitusional Warga Negara”, Implementation and Implication of Constitutional Court Decision Toward Citizens’ Constitutional Rights, Jurnal Konstitusi Vol 6 No 3 (2009), (with Dizar Al Farizi). Download