Hannah K. Sorenson
14357 Roosevelt Road SE Bemidji, MN 56601
St. Olaf College (Northfield, MN)
Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude: Chinese, Political Science, and Asian Studies (May 2019)
Languages: Mandarin Chinese (Advanced-High), English (Native)
Honors & Awards: National Collegiate Chinese Honor Society inductee, 2019; St. Olaf College Established Leader Award,
2019; Fulbright Semi-finalist, 2019; St. Olaf College Dean’s List, 2016-2019; St. Olaf College Presidential Scholar, 2015-2019;
Blue Key Honor Society inductee, 2017; Social Entrepreneurship Scholar, 2017; Luce Initiative for Asian Studies and the
Environment Grant recipient, 2017; American Red Cross Minnesota Youth Volunteer of the Year, 2015
Paul Bunyan Playhouse (Bemidji, MN)
Grants Writer and Administrator (May 2019-Present)
● Write and submit grant applications interweaving theatre arts, social impact, and community development.
● Analyze and synthesize grant measurement tools for the Board of Directors.
● Report grant implementation to granting agencies.
● Assist box office staff and board executives in finalizing business reports and manage business operations.
St. Olaf College (Northfield, MN)
Co-Chair of Senior Class Campaign and Supervising Student Development Officer, Annual Giving Office (August 2018-May 2019)
● Organize and supervise peer efforts in community building and soliciting donations for the St. Olaf Fund.
● Represent the College and Annual Giving in public videos, fundraising trainings, and philanthropic events.
● Solicit gifts from students, alumni, parents, and institution community members.
Grant Project Research Assistant (November 2017-May 2019)
● Conduct literature review and in-depth interviews of St. Olaf College students and faculty members on experiences with
microaggressions and multiculturalism.
● Film and edit faculty interviews using Adobe Premiere Pro.
Collaborative Undergraduate Research & Inquiries (Northfield, MN & Hong Kong, SAR)
CURI Researcher (June 2018-August 2018)
● Conduct in-depth interviews with employees of the World Wide Fund for Nature – Hong Kong (WWF-HK).
● Engage in participant observation and digital documentation of WWF-HK employees’ daily experiences and operations.
● Use WordPress to create an innovative and interactive website to publicly share research findings.
● Use Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Lightroom to edit film and photographs.
East China Normal University (Shanghai, China)
English Instructor (September 2017-January 2018)
● Provide individualized instruction and design curriculum for professional English speaking, reading, and writing.
Office of the Ramsey County Attorney, Juvenile Division (Saint Paul, MN)
Juvenile Division Research and Community Prosecution Program Assistant (June 2017-August 2017)
● Collect information on the sending of private sexual images in Minnesota and the United States.
● Integrate “sexting” information and Minnesota State statutes.
● Develop educational materials for Ramsey County students, parents, educators, and law enforcement.
● Coordinate demands of external state organizations.
Asian Studies in Action (Northfield, MN)
Founder/Chair (January 2018-May 2019)
● Lead dialogue between students, faculty, and guest speakers on current events and scholarship on Asia.
● Assist students in finding and applying for internship, research, and post-graduate opportunities in or related to East Asia.
Blue Key Honor Society (Northfield, MN)
Campus & Student Representative (November 2017-May 2019)
● Design and engage in volunteer service-based projects on campus and within the local community.
● Exemplify and encourage commitment to scholarship through leadership within major departments.
Miss Minnesota Scholarship Program (Bemidji, MN)
Miss Bemidji (September 2015-September 2016)
● Serve as an ambassador and volunteer for platform organization (American Red Cross).
● Represent local community at city and state events.
● Maintain organizational partnerships with local organizations and businesses.
Miss Northern Lakes’ Outstanding Teen (September 2014-September 2015)
● Serve as an ambassador and volunteer for platform topic (autism awareness).
● Engage youth in service-based leadership through school programs and volunteer events.
American Red Cross Serving Northern MN (Bemidji, MN)
Youth Board Member/Ambassador/Volunteer (October 2014-Present)
● Recruit and coordinate youth volunteers for major initiatives in Northern Minnesota.
● Speak in classrooms, canvas, and participate in social media campaigns to raise awareness for Red Cross mission.
Environmental Sustainability in Japan (Nasushiobara, Tochigi Prefecture, Japan; January 2018)
● Participate in the Asian Rural Institute’s (ARI) sustainable farming and leadership training work.
● Conduct in-depth interviews on daily life at ARI for the institute’s promotional efforts.
● Produce a ten page synthesis paper discussing environmental sustainability and economic development in Japan.
Term in China (Shanghai, China; September 2017-January 2018)
● Participate in intensive language study of Mandarin Chinese alongside a cohort of international students.
● Participate in a culture seminar emphasizing comparisons between American and Chinese education systems.
Asian Conversations Program (China and Japan; January 2017)
● Conduct an independent exploration of linguistic landscapes and built environments in Beijing, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
● Produce a web-based portfolio of cultural exchange experiences in an academic context, incorporating projects and materials
from the duration of the year-long program.
St. Olaf College (Northfield, MN; May 2019)
Speaker and Host, Commencement 2019 Illumination Ceremony